St Botolph's Church
The village has one of the oldest parish churches in Kettering. It is the Norman church dedicated to St Botolph, parts of which date back to 1120-1130 AD. Much of the rest is 13th century. The Barton Seagrave War Memorial is in the church grounds.
Click here to visit the church web site.
West of the church, just over Polewell Lane, in a meadow owned by Wicksteed trust, lies the earthworks of two medieval moated enclosures. One has been identified as the site of the manor of Barton Hanred, last documented in 1433. The other contained fishponds. The site has become overgrown, but Wicksteed Trust have plans to restore the site back to earthworks.
Barton Seagrave Hall
Barton Seagrave Hall is owned by The Wicksteed Trust and has a long and colourful history. Built in 1550 by the Humphrey family. It was purchased by Charles Wicksteed, who built and laid out Wicksteed Park within its boundaries. On his death, the house and the park passed to the Wicksteed Village Trust. Since then, the hall has been sold and is now a successful hotel, restaurant and bar, see www.bartonhall.com. The Orangery in the grounds of the Hall is thought to have been built around 1820, but little is known of its origins.
The Park's beginnings can be traced back to 1913 when Charles Wicksteed purchased a tract of Northamptonshire meadowland near Kettering with the intention of developing a model village. He wanted to create an open space and safe parkland for local families. The park features many attractions these days including a large boating lake, rides, mini railway, circus, playground and it hosts many large ourdoor events. Visit the Wicksteed web site for more information.
Situated within the grounds of Latimer Arts College, the Masque is a community facility that puts on various shows and events throughout the year. For contact details and more information click here.
St. Botolph's church
Castle earthworks overgrown
Wicksteed boating lake