The Manor of Barton was held in the time of Edward the Confessor (died 1066). The settlement was first recorded in William the Conquer's Doomsday Book of 1086 and the settlement was called "Bertone".
Barton Manor was split in the second half of the 12th Century into the Manors of Barton Hanred and Barton Segrave, the latter being granted to Nicholas de Segrave the elder. It was known as the castle and manor of Barton Segrave, and contained some 12 virgates of land, as well as meadow, pasture, and 20 acres of wood, besides rent.
Barton Castle (or Manor) was believed to have been built in the early 14th century by Nicholas Segrave the younger and it's last recorded mention was in 1433, after that it is assumed to have become a ruin. Today you can still clearly see the earthworks of the moats around the site (see noteable buildings).
St Botolphs church is a building of considerable interest, originating from the early part of the 12th century. it remained largely unaltered until 1878, when the south aisle and chapel were pulled down and rebuilt on a larger scale, forming a new nave and chancel. A modern north porch was at the same time removed and the church completely restored.
Barton Seagrave Hall was built in 1550 by the Humphrey family who owned both the Manor of Hanred and Segrave at the time. The Hall underwent several renovations by various owners and The Orangery in the grounds of the hall is thought to have been built around 1820, but little is known of its origins. The Hall is now a rather posh hotel, bar and restaurant.
A map of the village of 1885 (which you can purchase here) shows the Castle site, St. Botolphs Church & Rectory and Barton Hall, but little else in terms of significant dwellings or buildings. The development of the village, with regard to housing, progressed through the 20th Century to accommodate the 4,000 or so inhabitants who live in the village now. Whilst the village remains rural and surrounded by parkland, farmland and Spinneys in 2010, the Redrow housing estate (between Polewell lane and Wicksteed Park) and the huge Kettering East development look set to change this due to the Government backed push to build thousands of new houses in the Northamptonshire.